บทที่ 25 Question tags รูปของประโยคคำถามย่อ
Question tags are formed with the auxiliary or modal verb
from the statement and the appropriate subject.
A positive statement is followed by a negative question tag.
Positive statement + Negative tag
It is hot isn’t it?
A negative statement is followed by a positive question tag.
Negative statement + Positive tag
It isn’t hot is it?
When the verb in the main sentence is in the present simple,
we form the question tag with do / does
• You play the guitar, don’t you?
• Alison likes tennis, doesn’t she?
If the verb is in the past simple we use did.
• They went to the cinema, didn’t they?
• She studied in New Zealand, didn’t she?
Some verbs / expressions have different question tags. For example:
• I am – I am attractive, aren’t I?
• Let’s – Let’s go to the beach, shall we?
• This is / That is – This is Paul’s pen, isn’t it?
• These are / Those are – These are your books, aren’t they?
• Don’t – Don’t go there, will you?